Ask an expert

18 Aug 2010

Dear Dr. I have been for a D& C as well as a laparoscopy to remove my cysts due to my PCOS. He has put me on INOFOLIC as well as Glucophage XR in order for me to conceive. I''ve use numerous ovulation tests at about the time I suspect I should be ovulating (even the mini-microscopes you now get), but all tests were always negative. I''m getting frustrated as my gynae is about 400km''s away and I can''t always see him on a regular monthly basis. Is the Glucophage XR not working? Is the INOFOLIC not working? What would be the next step in treatment if I were your patient? I had the D& C and laparoscopy done on 5 May 2010. My periods are regular, but seem to shift with 2 days every month. Thank you.
Answer 1,175 views
Fertility expert
Fertility expert

01 Jan 0001

Dear Andrea

I am assuming that your doctor gave you Inofolic and Glucophage as he has probably found that the insulin level is quiet high and this is contributing to the fact that you may not be ovulating. If this is the case in your particular scenario then Glucophage and Inofolic is a good therapy in trying to get ovulation to start. It would be wise to see if the medication is helping to reduce your insulin level and if ovulation is taking place. If despite the medication you are still not ovulating then you will require medication such as Clomiphene Citrate to help with ovulation. However the fact that your periods are somewhat regular this would indicate that you may be ovulating well on your own and there may be other reasons as to why you and your husband may be having difficulty in conceiving. It would be advisable, if not already done, for your husband to assess his sperm count and quality and because you are so far away from your gynaecologist and if you are having a long standing history of infertility your next step would be the use of ovulation induction agents and artificial insemination providing the sperms are reasonable and your fallopian tubes are patent.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.