Ask an expert

29 Nov 2005

Problem with getting pregnant
I've just had a cone biopsy that showed adenocarcinoma in situ in the cervix. My oncologist's have told me to have my child/children now, and quickly because in 2 years they will be performing a hysterectomy. (I'll be conservatively monitored until that time)

My partner and I have discussed this and we would like to go ahead and at least try to have a child. Unfortunately... just to complicate matters, he's had a vasectomy (approx 12 years ago) in a previous marriage. Is there a way to extract sperm so that we can try this? I understand vasectomy's can be reversed, but I'm told it can take up to two years for the sperm to come back? If that's true, we don't have that long.

At the same time I don't know about the costs of this whole thing, we could end up doing the extraction, and then obviously IVF on me and have it not take... we don't even know if the sperm is viable or not... any help or advice on procedures and/or costs would be greatly appreciated...perhaps we haven't thought of something?

Answer 288 views
Fertility expert
fertility expert

01 Jan 0001

Dear Lydia

The advice given to you by your oncologist is correct. The problem of vasectomy can be overcome by a minor testicular procedure such as sperm aspiration from the testes or via a small testicular biopsy procedure. There is a reasonable chance that viable sperm may be obtained and frozen through such procedures and this may be utilised in a laboratory fertilization procedure called ICSI (Intra cytoplasmic sperm injection) . This would entail going through the process of IVF and has a reasonable percentage of success (approx. 40%). Should the ICSI not be successful initially, this procedure can be repeated every alternate cycle. The estimated costs should be in the region of R 18 000.00 for the ICSI and an additional R 2000.00 - R 2500.00 for the testicular biopsy.

Should you succeed in conceiving, I would strongly suggest that an evaluation of your cervix be done to decide whether you require a cervical stitch to be inserted in order that you may prevent a miscarriage.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.