Ask an expert

15 Jul 2008

reverse sterilasation
Dear Sir,

I am male and 46 years old. I had an sterilisation +/- 12 years ago by cutting the sperm tubes.

I have a new partner and would like to have a child.

What can we do about this and what are the chances to reverse this sterilisation?

Answer 448 views
Fertility expert
fertility expert

01 Jan 0001

Dear Geraar

Reversibility of a vasectomy is possible. It is a surgical procedure to try and get the two tubes to be patent again. The success rate of a vasectomy is probably in the region of about 25%. I would suggest that at the same time as you are having a vasectomy then the urologist should do a testicular biopsy so that sperm can be obtained and this sperm can be frozen. If your vasectomy reversal is then not successful these sperms that have been obtained through the biopsy could then be used for in vitro fertilization and ICSI procedure to achieve a pregnancy.

Answered by: Dr Y. Dasoo
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.