Ask an expert

24 Jul 2006

should we see a fertility specialist?
I'm 32 and my husband 37 and married for 14 months. We have not used any contraception and been hoping to conceive. I went for gynae check-up in March and she did some routine tests, in addition to the pap, and established that I was ovulating. My husbands sperm analysis was all normal, except for sperm morphology. She then put us on a multi-vitamin, Staminogro. We have been using it for four months now and have not conceived. We were wondering whether we had better see a fertility specialist, or if we should first do another semen analysis to know if there has been an improvement in morphology?
Answer 373 views
Fertility expert
fertility expert

01 Jan 0001

Dear Nuraan

The descision is entirely dependent on the degree of sperm morphological abnormality.
If the percentage normal forms was between 8-15% then it is worthwhile repeating the sperm analysis. Morphologies of less than 4% are usually unlikely to respond to conservative treatment and would require advanced ART (Assisted reproductive technology).
If the percentage normal forms on morphology is between 4-8%, this is a debateable situation and I would recommend a repeat spermiogram as well.

Furthermore, I would ASSUME that the gynaecologist has ruled out endometriosis and tubal obstruction as a likely cause of the infertility. If this has not been done , then it should be considerded as well, depending on the severity of the male factor problem.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.