Ask an expert

17 Aug 2011

Trying to conceive
Dear Doctor

I need advice. I am 30 years of age, my husband turned 34 a week ago. We are trying to conceive now for 9 months, and still no luck. I had my progesterone level tested on day 21, and the tests came back that I do ovulate, and it was 27.5.

I was on dianne sins the age of 21, and only stopped it on age 27 due to acne problems. Then I switched over to Triphasil, was only on it for 1 and half year. So I am off the pill since May 2010, it is now 1 year and 3 months.

Since we had no luck with conceiving yet, I had my hubby to go for a semen analysis, and this was his results:

Abstinence > 5 (We only have intercourse during the time of ovulation, this was the reason for more then 5 days abstinence)
Appearance - Normal colour
Viscosity 0.1
Volume 3.0
Sperm count 27.5
Motility 80
Mean frwd.progression 3 (normal)
Morphology: Normal forms 4
Amorphous 96

Hubby do smoke, so he is trying to smoke lesser, and said that he will try and give it up. I also bought him SpermAid and Staminogro

We so badly would like to have a baby, so we would treasure your advice. Thank you for your time doctor.

We live in Cape Town (Brackenfell). Should I see a gynaecologist or a fertility specialist for treatment?
Answer 493 views
Fertility expert
Fertility expert

01 Jan 0001

Dear Worried

I think it is very important to find out if there are any other issues present in your particular situation, the important thing is to see a gynaecologist or fertility specialist so that he can ascertain if your hormones are all normal and he can do certain investigations to see if your fallopian tubes are patent or not. I would suggest that you see a fertility specialist so that he would be able to concentrate on your main aim of trying to achieve a pregnancy. Although your husband semen analysis shows a low sperm morphology that is a 4% normal forms one may still be able to achieve a normal pregnancy without too much assistant if all else is normal. The fact that he is trying to smoke less and give and I would suggest he also change to a healthy diet and exercise program, these other factors will probably also improve his sperm parameters.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.