Ask an expert

04 Aug 2007

anterior cruciate injury (ACL)
Back in April I ruptured my ACL, since I have made a good recovery but a few days ago I ran and jumped and i had a huge pain in my knee and i have lost alot of movement and it has swelled up. i contacted my doctor and he said that i have strained ny knee badly and i should stay off it for a while. But what my real question to you is that what is your advice on getting a reconstuction surgery and i am only sixteen years old. if do plan to have the surgery it will only be in December so that i dont miss school.
Answer 390 views

01 Jan 0001

HI Leslie

When you ruptured it the first time, I'm assuming they left it without the reconstructive surgery because they either felt it was unnecessary, or because of your age? I'd be interested to know that. It's possible, for example, that the experts who assessed you felt that you did not require the reconstruction, and I'd be quite foolish to go against them seeing as how they assessed you fully.

Next point is that you mention that you had made a good recovery - what were you able to do? For example, it's possible that when ran and jumped the other day it was a completely unrelated injury - unlikely, yes, but possible. Maybe that ACL problem had almost sorted itself out. Were you active and running and doing regular activity yet? Just trying to clarify what "good recovery" meant the first time around, because it might be evidence that you don't need the reconstruction.

Generally, surgery is a last resort intervention, so a prudent doctor should tak the approach of trying all other forms of rehab before going there. But ultimately, you need to work with the doctors and if you feel that your knee will prevent you from running and playing sport, then you need to discuss with them the options. They may advise you to hold back and wait until you're older, which is fine, but you need to discuss it with specialists before moving on it.

Good luck
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.