Ask an expert

17 Nov 2004

Biokinetics:What is it?
My neuro surgeon referred me to a bio-kinetic practioner for acute pains in my right upper and lower left legs, since injections did not relieve what seems to be recurring inflammation. Please give me a bit of insight into this form of medical treatment. I haven't yet complied with his advice; would like a bit more info first. Thank you for your time.
Answer 492 views

01 Jan 0001

Hi Sonia

A biokineticist is a specialist exercise trainer, with expertise in sports injuries and rehabiliation, as well as in chronic disease and exercise prescription. In south Africa, a biokineticist usually has an honours degree in Biokinetics, having studies an undergraduate degree at university, specialising in either human movement studies, or physiology.

The process is usually that a doctor will refer to either a physiotherapist (where specific treatment is required), or to a biokineticist who is then able to treat the problem by focusing on strength or exercise. Often a physio refers onto a biokineticist as well.

With regards to your problem, I'm not sure what the cause is, where the pain is exactly and what brings it on. I therefore can't tell you whether you should or should not see the bio. I think that if your doctor believe this will work, then it is certainly worth looking into.

Good luck
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9439 votes
68% - 20025 votes