Ask an expert

10 Dec 2002

Body fat %age
I read all over the place that the best way to measure progress is by measuring body fat percentage rather than weight or BMI alone. It is easy to obtain calculations for BMI and I know what my ideal weight is, but nowhere can I find calculations as to how to work out body fat percdentage. I know that it is based on amount of fat on stomach, above hips and behind arms. Can you provide me with these formulae?
Answer 365 views

01 Jan 0001

Hi there

Unfortunately, you need to get it measured by someone who knows how to do it, whether it be by measuring skinfolds with callipers, a bodystat machine, a BODY iQ machine or another reputable method. We can measure it for a fee at the Sports Science Institute (ph: 021 659 5600) or you can speak to BODYiQ who have centres all around SA (ph: 021 680 6040).
Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.