Ask an expert

10 Feb 2004

Build bones
Hi Doc
I'm 35 years old, female, suffered a plumonary embolism and also from nephrotic syndrome. I'm taking prednisone and are concerned about the loss of bone density. I'm extremely unfit - wasn't allowed to do any excercise for the last 6 months, but got the go ahead to start excercising. Where should I start?
Kind regards
Answer 419 views

01 Jan 0001

Hi Annemie

The first and most important thing is to take care of your health - therefore, while exercise is a really good idea which I commend you for suggesting, the main thing is to first find out if your doctor believes it is OK for you to exercise. In particular, the problem with the pulmonary embolism and nephrotic syndrome must be dealt with and then if exercise will not worsen either condition or put you at high risk then exercise can go ahead. Now, I don't want to discourage you, because I'm actually quite confident that with the correct management, you can exercise safely and it will even improve the quality of your life. In terms of exactly what exercise you can do, for bone density, walking is probably the best one, because it places the most stress on the bones, and they adapt to this stress by becoming stronger. HOwever, it's also possible to overstress the bone and this will depend on your current bone density. Perhaps the safest thing to do is to consult a biokineticist who can at least supervise the first few sessions and make sure that you are on the right track and not doing any damage. After this, you can take up the training yourself, but until then, perhaps a bio is the better option.

GOod luck
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.