Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
07 Feb 2004
Will I loose musle if i take CLA?
CLA is marketed as a fat burning product, and so it would not cause direct muscle loss or atrophy. Having reassured you on this note, I also would discourage you from taking CLA for other reasons. The main thing that supplements do is they take away the emphasis on exercise and diet, and this means that often the weight that can be lost is rapidly regained, because it is not lost by lifestyle changes. In the case of CLA, there is some evidence, but not a whole lot, that it actually works to start with. A very comprehensive study done a few years ago showed that the only effect was about a 1% reduction in body fat achieved in women only, and only when the starting body fat was high anyway. Therefore, the benefits seem to be pretty limited to begin with. All things considered, exercise and diet are definitely the way to go.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Could following a vegan diet lead to poor bone health? Here’s what a study found
- Covid then vs Covid now: The emergence of variants and how the virus has evolved
- Traditional healers in South Africa are exposed to infection, but few can get protective gear
- Experts want greater transparency about delayed skin reactions some people get from Moderna vaccine
- Covid-19 damages the heart by killing its muscle cells, study finds
- Former Steinhoff CEO Markus Jooste has been charged in Germany. Now what?
- Gauteng DA says it's not defying national leaders by voting to oust Gauteng Premier David Makhura
- SATURDAY PROFILE | Former intelligence head Barry Gilder: 'There is a need for young voices in SA'
- ‘It was always there’: German envoy Martin Schäfer remembers Shoah survivor Veronica Phillips
- High Court judge caught up in maintenance tug of war between ex-husband and daughter
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9379 votes
67% - 19423 votes