Ask an expert

29 Nov 2005

fat arms!
Hi there

I was wondering how one loses the fat on ones arms? I just can't seem to get rid of it!

I am dieting and doing 45min taibo 3 times per week and 30min orbitrek 3 times per week and I am also on weigh less but nothing seems to be helping!

Are there any specific exercises I can do at home to tone, shape and lose on my arms???
Answer 527 views

01 Jan 0001

Hi wings

You have to aim to lose fat over the whole body, not just on the arms. The reason is that people just have specific distribution of fat over the body - for some people, it's the stomach, for others, the hips, or the thighs, and for some, the arms. But the root problem is still the same, it is excessive fat accumulation and so the way to combat it is to do the types of exercise that reduce overall body fat. Doing arm exercies doesn't really help, because this kind of exercise, using specific muscles only, actually burns fewer calories than exercising large muscles groups in dynamic cardiovascular exercise such as walking, jogging, running, swimming or cycling. In order to burn the fat, you need to do these types of cardiovascular exercises as least 4 - 5 times a week for at least 30 - 45 minutes. This will help to increase the amount of calories that you use and help to decrease your body fat.

now, what you are doing is already a start. Taebo is good and the orbitrek would also be included as a cardio activity. Perhaps what you need to do is look at the intensity of the training, this is often a problem. People sometimes underdo the training. I'm not saying that you should go super hard every single day, but perhaps the intensity of training can be increased.

Lastly, keep in mind that this is a very common problem, and changes in certain areas can happen very slowly, because some people do just have a specific distribution of fat, and it can be hard to fight against this.

However, be patient and keep at it!

Good luck

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.