Ask an expert

18 Feb 2004

Fats arms
Morning, I am quite slim, tall and only weigh 53kg but my upper arms are a bit fat and look odd (so I think). What kind of exercises can I do (at home) that can help rid this?
Should I exercise with weights but I dont want these busty upper arms either. I just want my upper arms to look slim. My wrists are thin.

Please help me rid this.
Answer 365 views

01 Jan 0001

Hi Bella

The scientific truth is that one cannot "spot reduce". That is, you can't really try and reduce the fat around your arms only by just doing exercises for the arms. This kind of exercise, using specific muscles only, actually burns fewer calories than exercising large muscles groups in dynamic cardiovascular exercise such as walking, jogging, running, swimming or cycling. In order to burn the fat, you need to do these types of cardiovascular exercises as least 4 - 5 times a week for at least 30 - 45 minutes. This will help to increase the amount of calories that you use and help to decrease your body fat.

Having said that, it is still important to do some strengthening and toning exercise where you use weights and do specific arm exercises. The key is to use a weight that is relatively light and then do more reps with this lighter weight. As an example, you would aim for 15 reps using a weight that you can lift at least 25 times. The exercises that you do will depend on whether you have access to a gym or you do body weight exercises at home. I would suggest you have a look at the 'Zone-in-on' section of the Health 24 website ( You can find this section under 'Fitness', and then just click on the image that shows the areas you want to work on, and you will be able to see the exercises relevant to you.

Lastly, keep in mind that this is a very common problem, and changes in certain areas can happen very slowly, because some people do just have a specific distribution of fat, and it can be hard to fight against this.

However, be patient and keep at it!

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9364 votes
67% - 19336 votes