Ask an expert

14 Dec 2005

Male Breasts
I am an overweight 17 year old. I have man boobs. Is this a product of me being overweight? Will they go away if i loose weight? What muscles do i exercise to get rid of them?
Answer 297 views

01 Jan 0001

HI there

most likely it is. THere are some conditions that cause the distribution of fat in specific areas and a condition called gynecomastia can result from a number of different factors. However, if you are overweight, then losing body fat will help because the breast tissue is largely made up of fat tissue. So this will help, and I therefore encourage you to get into a regular exercise routine that will help you to lose some weight. It's also not a case of doing specific exercises, because the breasts are fat tissue, and not muscles, and so the focus must be on fat loss. Therefore regular cardiovascular exercise is important, like running, walking, cycling etc. Doing weight training, and things like bench presses, or even push ups may help slightly but the key is to lose fat.

Good luck
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9432 votes
68% - 19957 votes