Ask an expert

18 Feb 2004

Query on ankle brace for sport

Can you recommend an ankle brace to wear for rugby?
I broke my ankle in about march last year and am quite worried about returning to rugby this year. I have already tweaked it abit at practise and think a brace might assist when i actually start playing again. Any suggestions on a good brace to get and where to obtain it?

Answer 380 views

01 Jan 0001

Hi Gary

I'm afraid an orthopaedic specialist would be the best person to ask about an ankle brace. You get commercially available braces, from places like Sportsman Warehouses, and TotalSports but if you are really serious about sport, then perhaps you do need consider seeing an orthopaedic doctor, for two reasons. Firstly, the break happened in March, which means that you would have had one year to recover. Now, I don't know how the rehab went, or if you did see someone to assist with rehab. This would have had a big influence on your current ankle strength, and so it might be advisable to just make sure that you are match fit, because if you are not, then even a brace will not strengthen the ankle enough. Secondly, you can also have a brace made for your leg/ankle, which will add comfort and probably be a better brace for you.

Good luck
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.