Ask an expert

31 Jul 2006

re: sports doctor for my son (10)
my son swims and was fit, until he went to europe for the holidays, he's gain 13kgs and he's times have worsened and his unfit, so we have to start from the begining. i'm looking for a sports doctor in jhb region, so i can take him to put him on a healthy eating plan (to loose weight) to help him get to where he was before the holdiays
Answer 295 views

01 Jan 0001

Hi Georgia

The only sports doctor that we (sports Science Institute) refer to up there in Joburg is Demetri Constantinou, though I'm not sure that you need to see a doctor for an eating plan, to be honest. I would rather suggest that you see a dietician about this. There are very many good dieticians in Johannesburg, you need only look it up in yellow pages or ask a GP about a referral to one.

So my advice is to see a dietician, and also just remember that if your son is so young, then he has tremendous opportunity still to play school sports and so my advice is that you encourage him to play as much as you can. Diet is important and should not be neglected, but then so is exercise and if you can get him to play, then he will get back where he was.

Good luck
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9472 votes
68% - 20296 votes