Ask an expert

18 Sep 2009

Tummy toning!
Im 1.7m weigh 63kgs.Iv been going to The Firm (a slimming clinic) and have noticed centimeter loss around most of my body.I do that 3 times a week for 30mins and taebo 2 times a week.I am quiete slim, but have a big tummy.Iv also been on a healthy eating plan, but can seem to be lose the centimeters on the tummy area and it in fact seems bigger..bloated looking! Any idea why and any suggestions please...or is it too soon to assess as Iv been going for 3 weeks only.I have lossed 1 kg since and a total of 22cm (from hips,bust.upper waist,arms). Its the lower tummy area and around the navel area that big and just out of proportion to my skinny body and actually makes me look pregnant.I pull my tummy in 24 7, so it doesnt protrude...Please help with some suggestions!
Answer 333 views

01 Jan 0001

Hi Lesley

It is still early days - 3 weeks is a blink of an eye when it comes to weight loss. Your progress will come, but it may take time. One reason is that early on in a weight loss programme, it's often difficult to get the intensity of exercise up to the levels required to see progress. But as you get fitter, and as exercise becomes easier, then weight loss becomes easier too. So you have to really work through that initial period and eventually it gets better.

There is of course the issue of diet, because a lot of people compensate by eating more, and they don't lose weight as a result. So you need to be sure that your diet is supporting your exercise, otherwise it's a futile effort. So see a dietician if you haven't done that already.

Finally, focus on fitness. If you get fitter, then you'll lose weight as well. So far your progress has been good - lots of centimeter loss, and that's a good sign. Next is to work at getting fitter, because fitter equals healthier, and the numbers will take care of themselves. So just give it some time, it will come. But tighten up on the diet, and get fitter as your focus!

Good luck
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.