Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
05 Mar 2004
My exercise program is as follows: Aquarobics 2X a week and yoga 2X a week. I have to lose 20kg. I am also eating more healthy and has lost 2 kg in the last 2 weeks. I want to know whether my exercise program is in order or should I also include something like spinning? When should one adjust your program? I do not like jogging and am battling with "shins pins".
It's really hard for me to say what changes you should make just like this. I really do think that a goal of 20kg is very high - it's going to take years, not months to do this. It's good that you have lost 2 kg so soon, but many dieticians recommend that you aim to lose at most 10% of your body weight. To lose 20kg, you would have to start at 200kg. However, aiming to lose small amounts over time will work. Now, looking at your programme, I'm a little worried that you are not doing enough high intensity training - yoga and aquarobics (and I'm sure to come under fire from yoga advocates) are probably not enough to cause drastic weight loss. I would guess that a lot of your 2 kg so far have just been achieved by diet - this is not a bad thing - the best thing for weight loss is diet, not exercise. However, I would suggest that you add in spinning to this programme - one session a week for now, but maybe aim for two eventually. If you can do this, then I am sure that you will see some great results.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Why South Africa stopped making vaccines
- Cloth masks can be as effective as surgical masks against Covid-19, new study reports
- Covid-19 causing strokes among young and healthy adults, global study finds
- No evidence yet that alcohol interferes with Covid-19 vaccines, but go slow on the drinks to be safe
- Moderna’s experimental booster shot protects against variants first discovered in SA and Brazil
- THE ESKOM FILES | La bella vita: The lavish house Eskom exec Hlakudi built with 'bribes'
- 'There's no turning back': Magashule defiance raises talks of his possible expulsion
- Criminal cases opened against skipper of a virus-hit Kenyan cargo ship that docked in Gqeberha
- Emfuleni Municipality: We will pay a monthly flat rate of R600 until they clean our area, say residents
- What does the US support for a waiver of Covid-19 vaccine patent mean? We ask 5 experts
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9465 votes
68% - 20205 votes