Ask an expert

22 Jul 2005

My ex-partner recently got drop and had to be treated. What is this, and can I also get it? I'm a gay man, age 24.
Answer 387 views
Gay, lesbian and bisexual expert
Gay, lesbian and bisexual expert

01 Jan 0001

Hi Concerned, thanks for visiting this forum and for your question.

The correct name for 'drop' is gonorrhea. This is a sexually transmitted infection caused by a bacteria.

There has been an increase in gonorrhea infections in the gay community, specifically in the Cape Town area, over the past 3 months. Gonorrhea is very contagious, and increases the risk of HIV infection.

You can get gonorrhea in your penis, your anus or your throat. The symptoms usually include a discharge from your penis (hence the common name, 'drop') and a 'burning' sensation when urinating. Your testicles (balls) can become tender or sore, and the head of your penis may feel sore. If the infection is anal, you may have a discharge from you ass and this area may feel sore or inflamed.

Anyone presenting with these symptoms should seek medical advise. Gonorrhea is generally easy to treat. If you're concerned about being infected by your ex-boyfriend, visit your GP or nearest clinic for a check-up.

Anyone who is sexually active can become infected with gonorrhea. I strongly advise you to use a condom when having anal sex, and never perform oral sex on a penis that shows evidence of a discharge. Ideally, you should place a condom over a penis before putting it in your mouth.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.