Ask an expert

06 Aug 2008

I sometimes bleed from sex

OK, last question for today, I promise. It' s just that I' m quite new to this whole gay thing and I don' t know where else to ask these questions. I' m even embarrassed to ask my (more experienced) gay friends about these things.

I' m not really sure how to ask this question, but here goes. Often when I am anally penetrated by my partner, I bleed afterwards. This only happens when I am sexually penetrated (i.e. it doesn' t happen on a daily basis or when I am not sexuall active), it lasts for about 1-2 days and the blood is usually a bright red colour. There is no pain or itching there and I don' t think I have piles or anything, although I am not sure exactly what to look for. In the mirror, everything looks more or less " smooth"  and normal. No warts or strange bumps or whatever. Is there a website with some pictures to show me what to look for?

I' ve noticed this usually happens if I don' t use a lot of lube or just use spit for lube. However when I empty half a bottle of lube up there, the bleeding is far less frequent.

Could there be a problem? Should I rather avoid this kind of sex? Must I try to discuss it with my family doctor (how!). Can I get an over the counter medication to try? Should I be worried for my health (physically and from a disease point of view)? Should I just accept that I bleed occasionally after sex? Could it cause colon cancer?

I look forward to your input and advice.

Hugs to all,
Answer 443 views
Gay, lesbian and bisexual expert
gay, lesbian and bisexual expert

01 Jan 0001

Hi again Jamie and thanks for this post.

Phew! You don't tell us whether you experience and severe discomfort or any pain during anal sex - many guys feel an initial sense of discomfort which passes fairly soon as the inner sphincter muscle relaxes. Please note that anal sex is never supposed to be painful. In terms of bleeding, a small amount of blood is always (yes, always) released into the rectum during anal sex but your being able to see evidence of this is quite rare. The rectal membrane is very delicate and fragile and we expect minute quantities of blood but you describe far more than this so I suggest you do consult your GP. How? "Doctor I bleed after anal intercourse". Find a gay GP or tell your GP your girlfriend uses a strap-on dildo on you. Colon cancer is often associated with a history of having had anal warts but again, this is something to discuss with your GP.

Of course there's also a concern about HIV infection - I am assuming your partner is always wearing a condom when he penetrates you?

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.