Ask an expert

25 Jul 2005

Partner to adopt baby
My life partner and I will become parents in 3 months time. I am the carrier and therefore biological mother of our son conceived through annonymous sperm donation. After much investigation, we have found what sounds like the simplest route for my partner to legally adopt our son. This is to go through the Childrens court in Cape Town. On the phone they sound very willing to assist.
Can you advise us if this is the correct route and whether to approach a private or court appointed social worker would be best. We obviously want the adoption to include my partner and not relinquish me of any rights to our child.

Well done for including this forum on this site.
Answer 341 views
Gay, lesbian and bisexual expert
Gay, lesbian and bisexual expert

01 Jan 0001

Hi Moms to be and congrats - this sounds great, your message has put a smile on my day.

I've heard positive reports of the Childrens' Court in Cape Town not discriminating against the gay community. Even Child Welfare in Cape Town have a very positive reputation in this regard.

I'm not able to suggest which route you should take, but I doubt you'll need to appoint a private social worker - this matter seems very clear.

If you need any support please contact us. A Lesbian Parenting Group will commence some time soon - application forms are available on our website,

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.