Ask an expert

25 Nov 2005

Please help!
Hi there guys thanks for all your help. I live in mosselbay and i need to know if someone knows of a lesbian or gay phichiatrist (sorry about spelling) in the mosselbay or george area?
Answer 332 views
Gay, lesbian and bisexual expert
gay, lesbian and bisexual expert

01 Jan 0001

Hi again Angelina,

We're not aware of a gay psychiatrist in your area. However, from my perspective, you shouldn't need a 'gay' psychiatrist - it is more important that you have confidence in a psychiatrist's ability to make you feel comfortable, make a good diagnosis and use medication appropriately. If you feel more comfortable speaking to women you may want to find a female psychiatrist in your area.

I assume you're not looking for a psychologist, for counselling purposes. Unlike psychiatrists, who follow a medical model, psychologists use counselling techniques and I often encourage people to find a gay-friendly psychologist. Which doesn't mean that they necessarily need to be gay themselves. You can call Triangle Project's Gay & Lesbian Helpline on (021) 4 222 500 and day between 1pm and 9pm and ask the counsellor on duty whether they have a gay-friendly psychologist listed in your area.

Thanks for posting in English, Angelina.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9432 votes
68% - 19934 votes