Ask an expert

27 Jul 2005

Sexual addiction
Firstly, a message to Kyle: I know you'll read this - your name keeps popping up here so you seem to hang around. Your messages are offensive - contantly trying to hook up and get nude pictures? Really trashy. But also quite sad. I hope you've taken note of what the expert asked you - is it possible that you simply can't help yourself and that you're out of control because you have a sexual addiction? If that's the case be a man, own up to the problem and do something about it. Get help. Preferably somewhere else.

Secondly, a question for the expert: what are the symptoms of sexual addiction?
Answer 356 views
Gay, lesbian and bisexual expert
Gay, lesbian and bisexual expert

01 Jan 0001

Hi Irritated,

Sexual addiction could be indicated by the following criteria:

1. A preoccupation with or constantly craving sex. 2. Continually engaging in sexual behaviour in spite of negative consequences - such as broken relationships or HIV infection. 3) Neglecting other life areas, such as work, family, school or friends in order to pursue sex. 4) Spending much time in activities related to sex - cruising, watching porn, surfing the web or porn or chatting in chatrooms. 5) Attempts to minimise, justify or 'hide' the behaviour.

A person with a sexual addiction may feel remorse or guilt about his/her behaviour, and may go through a process of bargaining with him/herself ("I'll stop this next week" or "Once more and then I'll stop"). Usually the behaviour persists in spite of negative consequnces, and addicts may need ever-increasing 'doses' to satisfy them. This could include watching porn, telephone sex, masturbation, surfing the Internet for porn, cruising, sex with strangers or making exessive sexual demands on a partner.

Sexual addiction can occur in tadem with other addictions - alcohol or drug addiction.

If you're concerned that you may have a sexual addiction, call the Gay & Lesbian Helpline on (021) 4 222 500 any day between 1pm and 9 pm, or Triangle Project on (021) 448 3812, or make contact with a doctor or psychologist in your area.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9433 votes
68% - 19975 votes