Ask an expert

26 Jul 2005

Unsafe sex

My friend had unsafe sex this afternoon, the condom broke and the other guy came inside him. He's freaking out and very scared of HIV. What can I tell him to reassure him? How can I help him?
Answer 307 views
Gay, lesbian and bisexual expert
Gay, lesbian and bisexual expert

01 Jan 0001

Hi Conrad

If your friend was exposed to the HI virus (through semen or blood entering his bloodstream), it is essential that he get relevant preventive treatment as soon as possible. Treatment must commence within a maximum period of 72 hours, and the sooner it can be initiated after exposure to the virus the better his chances of avoiding becoming HIV positive.

The treatment is called P.E.P. (Post Exposure Prophylaxis), and consists of ARV tablets. It is also given to women after they've been raped, and to nurses after they've pricked themselves with a dirty needle.

P.E.P. requires a script from a doctor. If your friend doesn't have a GP, he can go to the casualty section of any hospital and request that the doctor on duty write a script for him.

Please get your friend to a doctor as soon as possible!

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9362 votes
67% - 19320 votes