Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- ADHD Expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Asthma Expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Cough Expert
- Oral health expert
- Depression expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
- Sex expert
- Sinusitis Expert
- Sleep disorders expert
12 Dec 2005
What&#39;s MCQP about this year?
Hi everyone, any idea of what's happening with MCQP this year? Last year I was part of a group of twelve friends who went - of that group only two are going this year. Some are saying its gone "straight", someone else said its gone "corporate", someone else said it had lost its "soul". What are people on this forum thinking about MCQP this year?
Hi Neil and thanks for posting here.
MCQP - the Mother City Queer Project - is possibly South Africa's largest single 'queer' event and takes place every December. This year's party will take place on 17 December and the theme is 'circus'; about 6 000 people will attend in circus-related costumes. Take a look at their impressive website - www.mcqp.co.za
MCQP has very definite gay roots but was always open to straight people who wanted to experience the magic of the event. Enjoying over-the-top 'gay culture' should not be restricted to gay people only - MCQP provides a creative melting-pot of rich diversity for everyone to enjoy.
The gay element of MCQP is very much alive and has been carefully nurtured. For example, this year there'll be a large venue for lesbians only - run by the fabulous Myrna of Lush - and possibly the biggest indoor dark-room for men you could imagine.
So no, I don't think MCQP has lost its "soul" - it has evolved and will hopefully continue to do so in order to remain relevant, dynamic and fun.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Coronavirus variants update: One has spread to over 90 countries, two on WHO watchlist
- What is a nutritionally balanced diet and how do you achieve it?
- SA scientists testing traditional medicine to fight Covid-19 – with promising early results
- People with extremist views tend to struggle with complex mental tasks, new study finds
- Two-dose vaccines: Study suggests those who've had Covid-19 may only need a single jab
- INTERVIEW | JSE's most volatile year: Investors pulled out billions of rands in 2020
- Malema drops R1m damages claim against ex-EFF MP who said he confessed to getting VBS loot
- Eskom suspends chief procurement officer over 'non-performance in procurement savings'
- INTERVIEW | Adrian Gore on Discovery Bank's ambitious 500-a-day customer target
- The mission: How Glenda Gray became 'the closest thing South Africa has to Tony Fauci'
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9362 votes
67% - 19320 votes