Ask an expert

10 Feb 2004

7 years of menstrual hell
Dear Doctor

I have been having problems in the past 7 seven years. I have been loosing a lot of blood through my periods and the gynaecologist I go to give me different medications for that. To stop the bleeding and supplements as well. For the past 7 years I have from one gynae to the next due to the fact that I have not been given a logical explanation as to why. One doctor said that it might be a growth in my womb, while the other said that it might be hormone imbalance the other one told me he had not clue as to what was causing this, the last doctor I saw said that it was possible I was not ovulating. I do not know who to believe as I have to tried several madications and all I seem to be doing is getting a lot of pain from the womb afterwards.

Usually after taking the medication the stops the bleeding I get a lot of pain. In 2003 I went to a hospital in the emergency ward, the GP took a sample of my urine and prescribed for me anti biotics and pain killers. I was really happy as the pain subsided and finally it was gone. For the first time in all those years somebody believed me when I told them that I get pain after taking that medication. She explained to me that it was an infection.

In the process my medical aid is used for pathology, radiology, consultation and medication. In the past there were separate benefits for each of these but now they have been combined. I realise that my medical will be exhausted before the end of the year. This has happened for too long in my life I already feel like it should be treated as chronic. I still want to have kids but not now therefore the issue of having a visectomy is totally ruled out.

How do I handle the issue?

Answer 378 views

01 Jan 0001

You have given me some details of your history. However, without examining you and having the results of your tests, I cannot make a diagnosis, as it sounds like your problem is fairly complicated if a number of doctors have not found a cause. I would suggest that you stick to one gynaecologist whom you trust. Changing doctors frequently is not usually helpful as they have to start from scratch and do tests all over again and this will exhaust your medical aid.
If you are planning on having children (I assume you are still under 40), you may need to consider doing this sooner rather than later, as it may well be that the only treatment may be a hysterectomy if you are not responding to other forms of treatment.

Best wishes
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9362 votes
67% - 19330 votes