Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
25 Mar 2003
Asthma & the pill
I am an asthmatic but since falling pregnant with my daughter over 2 and a half years ago I have not had asthma. I recently went back onto the Triphasil pill which I had been on for 12 years previoously and have found that I am now continually suffering from asthma. It would appear to me that there is some hormonal link with the asthma - is this correct? What kind of contraceptive can I use to get back to my asthma free state?
There isn't really a hormonal link. In pregnancy, a third of people with asthma get better, a third get worse and a third stay the same, suggesting that hormones don't really have much to do with it. The best thing is to consult your doctor about control of the asthma. If you want to try a different contraceptive, the IUCD does not have any hormones.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Could following a vegan diet lead to poor bone health? Here’s what a study found
- Scientists find link between lower daily temperatures and higher rate of transmission of Covid-19
- Phone call anxiety: Why so many of us have it, and how to get over it
- Having trouble sleeping? Here’s the science on 3 traditional bedtime remedies
- Covid: A distorted sense of smell is dangerous but treatable
- High Court judge caught up in maintenance tug of war between ex-husband and daughter
- INTERVIEW | Branches or not, we are SA's largest digital bank and we are not done - Capitec CEO
- Former Steinhoff CEO Markus Jooste has been charged in Germany. Now what?
- Gauteng DA says it's not defying national leaders by voting to oust Gauteng Premier David Makhura
- SATURDAY PROFILE | Former intelligence head Barry Gilder: 'There is a need for young voices in SA'
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9379 votes
67% - 19431 votes