Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
03 Apr 2007
Bleeding after sex
I hope someone can help me!! I have been on the injection since Jan and my GP told me that apparently it takes your menstruation away completely. NOT TRUE... Since being on the injection, I have menstruated for sometimes even up to 2 weeks, although it is not as heavy as normal, but spotting. And now, I also have this problem for the last 2/3 weeks that whenever my boyfriend and I have sex, afterwards I am bleeding a bit. Not heavy, but only for about 2 hours or so and then it is gone again. Until the next time we have sex though, and it starts all over again. I hope someone here can tell me 1) why am I still menstruating even after I am on the injection and 2) why am I bleeding after I had sexual intercourse???
The majority of women do not bleed on the injection, but some do. Irregular bleeding is quite common, especially in the first 3 months. It tends to get better later. The bleeding after sex could be part of the irregular bleeding pattern, but could also indicate a problem with the cervix. You should see a doctor for a pap smear and internal examination.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- How to make sense of nutrition labels
- J&J Covid-19 vaccine: Are blood clots and the pausing of SA’s rollout a cause for major concern?
- Some form of long-term symptom lingers in one in 10 who had mild Covid-19, new study finds
- Covid-19 patients have a higher risk of in-hospital morbidity and mortality after surgery
- OPINION | Change your diet to change your cancer risk
- 'Hlophe should not only be impeached, he should be put in prison' - Kriegler
- Family finally gets justice 10 years after their three-year-old boy drowned at a North West lodge
- Meet Soweto's 'cemetery navigators' - the men attending to dilapidated graves
- High risks or picky banks: Why is microfinance not taking off in SA?
- SATURDAY PROFILE | Judge Dennis Davis: ‘To accuse the judiciary of being captured is outrageous’
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9433 votes
68% - 19977 votes