Ask an expert

05 Mar 2004

Don't know what to try next
Dear Doc

I have a problem which has persisted over the last 4 years or so.

I keep getting what I think is some sort of thrush. I am sexually active, but with the same trustworthy partner for the last 5 years. I experience a burning sensation during and after we have made love, but it is at its worst after my partner has ejaculated. I have a slight discharge but it is colourless and only has a very slight smell.

I generally go to the pharmacy and get some sort of over-the-counter cream. This helps a bit, but it is only temporary.

About 3 months ago I sought help from my GP because the vaginal cream just didn't seem to make a difference anymore. She prescribed a 2 week course of an oral antifungal. I experienced a slight improvement, but it did not go away completely. I went back to the GP.

She took a swab and sent it away to the lab but it came back clean. She then prescribed a betadine douche which also gave only some relief. This all cost quite a bit of money, and since I am not on medical aid, have not been able to go back again. My GP is also currently on maternity leave.

I have no idea what to do next. I have no idea what this is or even what is causing it.

Could my medication be responsible? I have PCOS and am on the generics for both Dianne 35 and Androcur. A few years back I was using Nordette and experienced the same problems then as well. I also use tampons every month. I have followed the usual recommendations like cotton undies, no bubble baths, etc.

Please could you suggest something Doc?
Answer 371 views

01 Jan 0001

If the swab was clean, it would suggest that this is not thrush, unless you had the swab taken shortly after being treated. You don't say how long the burning and discharge last after you have had sex. Take careful note of al the details- how long the burning lasts, how long the discharge lasts and if it disappears on its own if you are not treated, and what happens if you do not have sex for a while. Repost the question with more details.

Best wishes
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.