Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
23 Jun 2010
My daughter (32) is 14 weeks pregnant after IVF. At her 12 week scan her NT was 1.3 and the nasal bone was present. Her bollds were sent for Downs testing and have come back with a devastating 1 in 90 possibility of Downs. Her fertility specialist want her to have another scan at 16 weeks, plus another blood test and then a 4D scan two weeks later. What are the chances that the second round of tests can improve the prognosis? Is 1 in 90 an almost inevitable Downs baby. She has trued so long for this baby. I do not know how she is going to get through this, especially the next month of waiting.
A 1 in 90 risk is just that. 1 baby in 90 would have Down syndrome. 89 out of the 90 would be normal. I don't think that the other tests will influence the risk much.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- If SA had rolled out AstraZeneca vaccine, up to 22 000 deaths could have been prevented – Prof Madhi
- Massive numbers of new Covid infections, not vaccines, are main driver of new coronavirus variants
- Resistance band workouts are everywhere – but do they work?
- Sugar: Here’s why some people experience negative side effects when they quit
- Severe Covid-19 can increase self-attacking antibodies, but vaccination can prevent this - study
- #UnrestSA: Ramaphosa mum on whether ANC were involved in July's unrest
- Nyakane: What 60 sterling minutes should mean for him
- INSIDE LABOUR | The true cost of Covid-19 is incalculable
- Two dead after wall collapses on home in Verulam, KZN
- ANC defends proposed minimal changes to Electoral Act, says the 'timelines are unworkable'
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
30% - 9636 votes
70% - 22547 votes