Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
19 Jan 2004
We want to start a family, but I have some concerns. I have a history of depression -will this be heridetary? I am on an anti depressant, how will this effect the child? What supplements can I take from the beginning to ensure optimum health?
Depression can be heriditary. This does not mean that your child will have it, but there is a higher than normal risk. If you are on Prozac, this will not affect the child, though a slightly higher miscarriage rate has been found in some studies. It would be a good idea to take folate tablets while you are planning a pregnancy.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Covid-19: Do I still need to wear a mask when vaccinated, and other questions
- Mounting evidence suggests Covid-19 vaccines do reduce transmission. How does this work?
- Fighting the flu season: Two experts answer key questions about the flu shot
- Covid-19: A potentially deadly ‘black fungus’ infection seen in patients in India
- Your guide to side-effects: What you can expect after a Covid-19 jab
- THE ESKOM FILES | WaBenzi and a house on Jamaican Music Street: Eskom exec's charmed life
- Magashule attempt to suspend Ramaphosa: 'People from other countries were calling' - Duarte
- Atul Gupta says Home Affairs records show no legal reasons for passport denial
- Lucky Montana demands 'biased' Soni recuse himself as Zondo evidence leader
- Sifiso Ntombela | Poultry effort: Why tariffs aren't enough to stop chicken dumping
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9470 votes
68% - 20270 votes