Ask an expert

27 Jul 2005

Genital Infection
I have extended labia and have been struggling with an infection which at first I thought might have been a form of candida. The infection looks like warts except they are shaped similar to cauliflower tufts, they are itchy and become sore and the infection is now tearing the skin of my labia open. I have been using covospoor topical cream - this infection has carried on for four years. I am not on medical aid so I cannot go to a gynaecologist and I am working temp so if I go to a public hospital I have to have the time to do so or I don't get paid. I need to know if you can identify this infection (I have even changed the soap powders I use to wash my underwear thinking that it may be a fungal infection caused from strong soaps, softeners, etc.). I would also like to know what other medications I could try and lastly, my labia are extremely extended and I read somewhere that they can be cut (or cut back) surgically, is this true. They are unsightly and the infection has become sore and very embarrassing.
Answer 406 views

01 Jan 0001

From what you describe, it does not sound like a fungal infection. It could be genital warts. However, you will have to see a doctor to make a diagnosis. Surgery to the labia is possible but, as this is cosmetic, you would have to pay for it yourself.

Best wishes
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9371 votes
67% - 19385 votes