Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
22 Jan 2004
My wife has just out found today that she has been in contact with her boss who might have german measles. (awaiting cofirmation tests) She is 12 weeks pregnant, what sign s should i look out for and when should i start panicking?? What are the chances that she may have contracted the deseas if the were in contact only once? How soon should we see the gynae and is there aything that can be done to save the baby should she have contracted the deseas??
The sign to look out for is a rash. The chances of contracting the disease depends at what stage of the rubella infection the contact was. This would be difficult for your wife to know. The best thing is to wait for the blood tests. If she does contract rubella, there is about a 30% chance of the baby being affected with either blindness, deafness or brain problems. Unfortunately there is no way of treating or preventing this. Many women then opt for a termination of the pregnancy.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Researchers looked at link between sunlight and Covid-19 deaths - what they found
- J&J Covid-19 vaccine: Are blood clots and the pausing of SA’s rollout a cause for major concern?
- 6 unhealthy eating behaviours on the rise during the Covid-19 pandemic
- Vaccine side effects are not uncommon - so, with J&J's jab: What are they, who gets them, and why?
- Experts don't expect J&J vaccine rollout to be paused for long - but suspension the right move
- Jail me, Zuma dares ConCourt as chief justice plays politics in JSC interviews
- ANC dismissed first Gupta allegations because its 'analysis' found newspapers were racist - Mantashe
- Not having access to mental health treatment a violation of human rights - expert
- Mpumelelo Mkhabela | Attacks on our constitutional democracy: 4 strategies that are being used
- J&J wants govt letter of support before signing off on 20 million Covid-19 vaccines for SA - Mkhize
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9432 votes
68% - 19941 votes