Ask an expert

20 Nov 2004

How do I know when I am about to enter the peri-menopause?
I am 39 years old and curious to know about the blood test I can have to determine whether or not I am about to enter the menopause.

What is it called? How much does it cost?

Is it true that it can only be done on Day 3 of my period?
Answer 355 views

01 Jan 0001

It is called FSH. If you are looking for a sign that your ovarian function is starting to decline, then it should be done on Day 3. The cost would be about R80.

Best wishes
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9432 votes
68% - 19939 votes