Ask an expert

04 Dec 2005

Hystorectomy 21 yrs ago. Never taken hormones - hot flushes
Hi there
I am 49 years old. I have had 13 ops (c sections, tubes tied, endiometris, 2 x blockages, plastic pipes removed- left in by doc,etc.... ) About 8 years ago I took Premarin for about 4 months and as I did not feel any different I stopped taking it. I have taken Sepia for the last 4 - 5 years. I find now I am having up to 15 - 20 hot flushes in a day and night. I am also experiencing night sweats- sometimes 4 - 5 times a night. I have never been a person to perspire but lately the sweat runs off me. I read that a glass of white dry wine helps with menopause and have been having wine everyday for the past 7 - 8 years and it has helped. I am a very active person, I do my own house work, garden, I have 3 dogs and 3 grown up children still living at home, my husband has his own business and I work for him too. I also go to gym 3 - 4 times a week. In the last year we moved from Jhb to CT and I had to set up house in CT on my own with my children as my husband is doing his commercial pilots liscence in JHB. I did not think I was too stressed out by the move - but now my husband is with us Permanent in CT- I seem to be burnt out. I do not sleep well at night and wake very early in the mornings 4.30 - 5am. I eat fairly well and watch what I eat and drink because of the 2 blockages I have had. I weigh 58 kg's but have put on +- 6 kg's in the last year and I can't seem to loose it. I take vitamins and supplements. I also smoke.
Could you please tell me what I can do / take etc for the hot flushes. Bloodtests etc. I have not seen a gynie for approx 10 years.

Many thanks
Answer 407 views

01 Jan 0001

You seem to live a healthy lifestyle apart from the smoking. Premarin would help many of your side effects. You should, however, consult a gynaecologist first as smoking may be a contraindication and I am also not sure what the blockages are that you mentioned.

Best wishes
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.