Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
23 Jun 2011
leiomyomatosis peritonealis disseminata
I recently underwent a laparoscopy for endometriosis and an ovarian cyst. I have been diagnosed with leiomyomatosis peritonealis disseminata. Literature on treatment, aetiology etc is limited. I am sympotmatic on a monthly basis. From Day 9 I have nausea, diarrhoea, headaches, fatigue, low mood and abdominal bloating and pain. This stabilises and then from approx day 19-26 I am anxious, irritable, and in more abdominal pain. I urinate throughout the night, have middle insomnia and headaches. Any recommendations re treatment or a specialist who knows about the condition to see in cape town area. My current gynae has not been helpful in this regard.
This is a very rare condition - only about 100 reported cases in the world. I am imnterested to know how the diagnosis was made. I can understand this as a cause for pain, but not for headaches, fatigue and low mood. I don't think you will find any experts as it is such a rare condition, but your gynae could read up on the previously reported cases.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Could following a vegan diet lead to poor bone health? Here’s what a study found
- Covid then vs Covid now: The emergence of variants and how the virus has evolved
- Traditional healers in South Africa are exposed to infection, but few can get protective gear
- Experts want greater transparency about delayed skin reactions some people get from Moderna vaccine
- Covid-19 damages the heart by killing its muscle cells, study finds
- Christo Wiese: Don't blame SA prosecutors for slow pace of 'extremely complicated' Steinhoff probe
- Former Steinhoff CEO Markus Jooste has been charged in Germany. Now what?
- Gauteng DA says it's not defying national leaders by voting to oust Gauteng Premier David Makhura
- SATURDAY PROFILE | Former intelligence head Barry Gilder: 'There is a need for young voices in SA'
- ‘It was always there’: German envoy Martin Schäfer remembers Shoah survivor Veronica Phillips
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9379 votes
67% - 19423 votes