Ask an expert

07 Dec 2004

Dear Doc, I am 34 and do not have kids. I have been having problems with my periods for the past 8 years. I can not remember a time when I have had a normal period. When they come they are too heavy and last forever until I take a tablets. Usually I would go a gynae who would prescribe them for me. Afterwards I get terrible pain in my womb that would last for weeks. It is only recently that I went to a GP that he did tests on me and said that it was an infection cause by the long periods and heavy bleeding.

The first doctor did a womb scrup and tried to investigate what the problem could be. He did not find anything, when that happened he became rude and referred me to a obstritian. He told me that the only reason I was feeling tired and depressed was because I was big, fat and lazy. I was anaemic and I didn't know it. I pushed myself harder, I nearly fainted on the way to the obstrician and never made it for an appointment. I went to a government hospital two months later I thought that I was going to die, only then did they tell me that it was anaemia cause by heavy bleeding. Since then the situation has not really changed. Only difference is now I know the anaemia symptoms and take medication for it.

Recently I had an empiphamy that I might go on an early menopause. I still want to have kids and I realise that with this kind of bleeding I might never fall pragnant. I have tried once before years ago and now I am afraid that if this happens I might never forgive myself.

I would like to know if it is possible medicall to check if a person is going to have an early menopause?

Answer 385 views

01 Jan 0001

I am not sure why you think you may have an early menopause. Skipping periods might be a sign of this rather than heavy bleeding. If you have had investigations and nothing physical was found, then the problem may be hormonal and could be relieved by the oral contraceptive pill.

Best wishes
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.