Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
30 Jul 2007
I am a 17 year old girl and I am getting my periods regularly. Blood tests have shown I have high levels of testosterone, and I am insulin resistant. I am treating this with glucophage. I am not very overweight, 66kg, 1.7m tall. My question is, my periods are very light. So light that I bleed for maybe 3 days, and only one night. It really is very very light. I don't suffer from pain, but discomfort, and the odd cramp in my rectum. Why are my periods so light?
It may be that you aer not ovulating. The high testosterone and insulin resistance go with PCOS, which can cause you not to ovulate. This can be checked with a blood test.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Core strength: Why is it important and how do you maintain it?
- Trying to cut down on your meat intake? Experts suggest you should just look at it
- WATCH | How face masks protect you against Covid-19
- Fighting the flu season: Two experts answer key questions about the flu shot
- Covid-19: is obesity really more of a risk factor for men than women?
- THE ESKOM FILES | Money for jam: StefStocks, Basil Read accused of fleecing millions from Kusile 'scheme'
- State alleges Nafiz Modack manages criminal enterprise
- How the EFF wants to change the Constitution
- Bruce Cameron | What you need to know about disability assurance and mental health
- Unfriendly fire: Top cop Khehla Sitole, fired Crime Intelligence boss Peter Jacobs trade blame over Kinnear murder
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9472 votes
68% - 20303 votes