Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
19 Feb 2004
Midwife or Doctor?
Can anyone tell me what difference there is in having a midwife or a doctor(gynae)? What are the cost implications? What are the benefits, disadvantages? Where can I find a midwife in the Pretoria area?
If you have a normal low risk pregnancy with no complications, then a midwife would be able to look after your pregnancy. Any complications or medical illnesses should be handled by a gynaecologist. Even if all goes normally, complications can still sometimes occur during labour. Midwives are only able to manage normal deliveries. If you needed any intervention e.g. a caesarean, a gynaecologist would have to do it. The costs are much less with a midwife. The advantage is the cost saving. The disadvantage is that complications could occur that the midwife would not be able to handle and you would then need an emergency transfer to a gynaecologist.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- A third of Covid survivors suffer neurological or mental disorders, a new study finds
- Covid variants have changed the game - vaccines won't be enough. We need global ‘maximum suppression’
- Are people who had Covid-19 more likely to develop blood clots? Study finds out
- Pfizer vaccines are coming. Here’s how SA could prepare its cold chain
- New study reveals the science behind why we enjoy music
- Karyn Maughan | Hlophe found guilty of impeachable misconduct, does not guarantee his removal
- Ramaphosa under pressure to account for alleged role in Eskom’s troubles
- Hawks close in on Mahlobo over parallel spy structure
- Alleged irregularities in Unisa’s R3 million accommodation deal probed
- 'Hit list' worries ANC in Eastern Cape
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9422 votes
68% - 19862 votes