Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
12 Jan 2005
Mirena problems ?
After my second child was born in Jan last year I was fitted with a Mirena. After about 8 months I started having dizzy spells with nausea, swollen feet and cramps which lasted about three weeks. My GP did all the tests and there is nothing wrong with me. Shortly afterwards I had a heavy bleed, (periods stopped with the Mirena), and when I went to see my Gynae he said it was just a cyst. Since then I had severe pains which last a day or two every month followed by a blood stained jelly-like discharge. Are these more cysts, and should I be worried about recurring cysts ? I am also becoming incredibly irritable, and very often have periods of depression. What are my alternative choices for contraception if I have the Mirena removed as I still want more children ?
Many of these could be side effects of the Mirena. I cannot comment on the pain without examining you. If you had a cyst before, there could be a recurrence. Your other options are the Pill or the injectable.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Core strength: Why is it important and how do you maintain it?
- Covid-19: A potentially deadly ‘black fungus’ infection seen in patients in India
- OPINION | Pilgrimage in a pandemic: Lessons from Mecca on containing Covid-19
- Some Covid-19 'long-haulers' showing signs of fatigue, mood disorders three months after infection
- Trying to cut down on your meat intake? Experts suggest you should just look at it
- 'It was hell' - daughter of KwaSizabantu preacher speaks out about abusive childhood
- ANALYSIS | Cyril Ramaphosa's fight against corruption can't be taken seriously while budgets are cut
- Massive police deployment in Western Cape crime hotspots could be costing SA millions
- Karyn Maughan | Zondo Commission cash crunch puts brakes on state capture prosecutions
- EXPLAINER | Why SAA receivership doesn't need to be solvent
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9472 votes
68% - 20294 votes