Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
14 Jul 2008
Need to go off the pill, worried
Hi, my doctor told me that I should go off the pill (Yasmin) for 6 months before my husband and I start trying for babies to let my body get itself in order. My worry is that I initially went on the pill in school due to a very slight hormonal imbalance that made me very sensitive and depressed. Since being on the pill I have been so much better. I went off the pill for 3 months about 3 years ago, and hated it. I was over-sensitive and cried alot, and the last thing I wanted to do was have sex, and the last thing my husband wanted to do was have sex with me. When it comes time for me to go off the pill to have a baby, is there another form of medication I can go on to keep me 'normal'?
Mood swings at differnt times of the cycle are normal but, if you are moody all the time, you should see a doctor for assessment. An antidepressant or anxiolytic may be indicated.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Covid-19: Does exercising really reduce the risk?
- Is it the vaccine technology, used by AstraZeneca and J&J, causing blood clots? No evidence yet
- Efforts to reduce coronavirus spread should focus on airborne transmission, not surfaces
- Why do children fare better than adults when infected with SARS-CoV-2? What latest research says
- Psychologists find a key reason for 'Zoom fatigue' and why women are more susceptible
- Cape Town fire: UCT working on urgent safety plan to prevent future fire hazards
- Cape Town fire: Did 'heritage' trees and 'ember attacks' outsmart SANParks' fire preparation?
- Gwede Mantashe, Thandi Modise not keen on parliamentary oversight committee on Presidency
- 'I was fulfilling a higher purpose' - Rabbi saves Torah from burning UCT building
- Did Tokyo Sexwale fall for a global conspiracy theory?
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9436 votes
68% - 20003 votes