Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
06 Dec 2005
Please explain thrush...
I've asked previously about thrush. My gp said it was bacteria and a fungal infection causing it. I only have a burning sensation after sex. Nothing really bad. My question is: what is thrush and how do you recognise it / symptoms. Reading through some of the other emails, it seems it should be very itchy. It isnt. I just want clarity on how it happens that one gets it? Or is it as common as getting a cold?
Thrush is caused by the fungus, Candida albicans. Changes in the vaginal acidity can allow it to occur. While the usual symptoms are a thick, itchy white discharge, all of these features are not present in everyone. If the symptoms are not typical, a swab can be taken to make a diagnosis.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Researchers looked at link between sunlight and Covid-19 deaths - what they found
- J&J Covid-19 vaccine: Are blood clots and the pausing of SA’s rollout a cause for major concern?
- Experts don't expect J&J vaccine rollout to be paused for long - but suspension the right move
- Vaccine side effects are not uncommon - so, with J&J's jab: What are they, who gets them, and why?
- 6 unhealthy eating behaviours on the rise during the Covid-19 pandemic
- INTERVIEW | I was misunderstood about alcohol bans, says Sue Goldstein amid interview furore
- Jail me, Zuma dares ConCourt as chief justice plays politics in JSC interviews
- ANC dismissed first Gupta allegations because its 'analysis' found newspapers were racist - Mantashe
- Is Judge John Hlophe above the law? Join us at the Editors' Table to discuss his fate
- Not having access to mental health treatment a violation of human rights - expert
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9432 votes
68% - 19948 votes