Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
07 Dec 2004
Pregnancy - getting old
Good day. I was raped at 11yrs, my mother married 7 times and I have since 11yrs been scared of men and said I would never get married. I am now 41 yrs and have never had sex or been on the pill. I have now met a wonderful man and will be gettng married next year, which will mean that I will have to go on the pill. What do you recommend and till what age will it still be safe - with the necessary testing - to fall pregnant, if I do consider it. I just don't want a 'honeymoon' baby.
As long as you do not smoke and have no risk factors for heart disease, you can use the Pill. Triphasil or Femodene would be good to start with. After 40 years, the risk of Down syndrome increases. This can be tested for with amniocentesis at 16 weeks and you would have the option of a termination if this were the case.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Low risk of third Covid wave in SA, but country still ‘highly vulnerable’, Wits AI model suggests
- New research shows South Africa’s levy on sugar-sweetened drinks is having an impact
- Scientists invent home Covid-19 test using coffee machine capsules
- Late-night snacks may negatively impact your work performance
- 10 ways to make yourself poop first thing in the morning
- OPINION | How one tiny country streaked ahead of SA in its digital transformation
- Days of reckoning for Zuma and Hlophe: Will ConCourt and JSC imprison and push to impeach?
- With Edgars now in its stable, how does Legit-owner Retailability compare to its rivals?
- Eskom official went out of her way to help Econ Oil, and linked them up with Gigaba - probe report
- Adriaan Basson | The end of John Mandlakayise Hlophe, a judicial scoundrel and delinquent
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9425 votes
68% - 19885 votes