Ask an expert

03 Mar 2004

Swelling after sex
I read a previous article with regards to this, but it did not help. After sex i get swollen and sometimes find it painful while having sex. I at first thought it was thrush as i seem to suffer from this regularly, i've been to my gynae twice now. The first time he said it was thrush and gave me some anti-biotics. One week later the thrush was back (and i know i did not get it again from my boyfriend as i had no sexual contact with him without a condom.) so i then went again to the gynae and he said i might have some other strain of thrush, so my samples where sent for tests and they told me, that i'm normal, no strange strain of thrush.

My problem is, that is sometimes painful for me during sex (the outer area of my opening mostly) and i do ensure that there is enough lubrication. Then after sex, i'm swollen and it is sometimes quite painful that i have to wait a couple of days before i can have sex again.

I'm desperate to find out what is wrong with me.
Answer 436 views

01 Jan 0001

If your doctor has taken swabs and excluded infections, then it may be that you are 'tight' and this causes pain with intercourse. You could try different positions and see if this makes any difference. Also use lots of KY jelly. It is normal to have some swelling after intercourse but this should not last more than an hour or two. Tensing of the vaginal muscles (vaginismus) can also cause pain on entry.

Best wishes
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.