Ask an expert

13 Apr 2006

Transvaginal ultrasound, advice please
Hi Doc, i've been suffering from pelvic pain for the past 2 yrs. The pain is on my right lower pelvic area. It used to come & go but now its there forever. During sex the pain becomes worse and will stay there for two weeks until it becomes better. Its deep within not at the entrance. I went to see different Gynaes, GP & i was send to a surgeon but they can't find anything. 1 1/2 years ago i went for a laporoscopy & it didn't show anything.

I don't want to go for a laporoscopy again for nothing, now i just read about the TRANSVAGINAL Ultrasound on the internet, how good is this & will it show lesions of endometriosis?

This pain is making me miserable Doc, i can't live like this or take pain killers almost everyday. It affects my right leg as i feel it on my right hip & down the thigh. Please help me.
Answer 336 views

01 Jan 0001

The transvaginal ultrasound is less accurate than a laparoscopy for picking up endometriosis. If the laparoscopy was negative, you may need to consider non-gynaecological problems such as irritable bowel syndrome.

Best wishes
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.