Ask an expert

14 Apr 2006

urinary incontinence - age 23
I don't have too much of a problem anymore when i sneeze, but i did before. Now I'm having major problems at gymnastics, when i jump on floor or trampoline i just can't hold it (urine) in. Luckily it's not too visible, but it goes all down my leggings & it's getting very serious. I know it must have been when i was young & had severe stomach problems (I have cystic fibrosis)it was too hard to hold urine in while defaecating. so i just relaxed my muscles & didn't hold it in anymore. i must have been about 7 at the time, but i think that's what started off the problem. PLease help, i would be very grateful.
Answer 353 views

01 Jan 0001

I would suggest that you see a gynaecologist. There are two situations where urine leakage occurs. The one is due to dropping down of the urethra and needs surgery; the other is an irritable bladder and responds to medication.

Best wishes
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9379 votes
67% - 19428 votes