Ask an expert

27 Mar 2007

Worried about recurring topical lump
Hi GynaeDoc

For the last 6 months I’ve had terrible infections on top of my vagina, not inside. It started off as very bad in-grown hairs in my groin, which, after much trouble my sister got out (she is a skin-care therapist), but since then, I have recurring infections, which start off as a very soft little lump, and soon enlarges into a large soft puss-filled lump which is terribly painful if I take too long to squeeze it (I use a lancet first). Once I do squeeze it, the inflammation goes down and dries up for about 2 weeks before starting all over again. Should I be seeing a normal doctor, a gynae or a dermatologist for this? I can’t even shave down there anymore. I’m not sexually active, but still wonder if I could have picked up an STI somehow? And, are there antibiotic creams I could maybe use?
Answer 415 views

01 Jan 0001

It sounds like recurrent ingrown hairs. You can see your GP about this.

Best wishes
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9439 votes
68% - 20030 votes