Ask an expert

06 Dec 2004

Yellow thick discharge

I need your opinion. I have had a very funny discharge for almost 14 years since i was 12. I have been to many many doctors and 2 gynaes without any success. It used to be yellow and thick and had a very ugly smell like a dead animal. Then it changed to a fishy smell, comes and goes. l ts not very consistent. I have had hiv tests several times and am NEGATIVE. Now with my bf of 4 years we have been using condoms cos i dont want to infect him with whatever it is i might have. For the past 2 years, i have been having pains in my abdominal, i even stopped gym cos each time i attempted i will have pains and slight bleeding. When i did a pap smear last year the dr said there's a slight bleeding im my cervic but there was no cancer. Sex has always been terrible, it hurts inside and during penetration and the discharge really smells. Im worried i mite be infertile. Last week i went to a dr again, she did a pap smear, then the results did not show any cancer but some bacteria/ infection, she prescribed some medication to treat it. This was tuesday then i started with the 7 day treatment. The treatment was coming allright then on wednesday night we made love with a condom i enjoyed it with no pain, by saturday, i was itchy and a whole lot of thick yellow discharge like cheese was there mEANwhile im still on medication. Today its a bit itchy and i just saw a yellow thickish discharge again and i am only finishing the medication tomorrow morning. Whats going on here? Should i go back to the Dr today to explain all this?
Answer 335 views

01 Jan 0001

It sounds like you have pelvic infections. The reason for the itchy discharge at present is probably that you have thrush as a result of the antibiotics. I would suggest that you use Canesten pessaries for this. Once it is cleared up, you should have your doctor take a vaginal swab to exactly what type of infection is causing your yellow discharge.

Best wishes
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9365 votes
67% - 19350 votes