Ask an expert

18 Aug 2007

Paraplegic 17 year old
I'm a volunteer at a local Children's Home and involved with a 17 year old girl who is a paraplegic. She is currently in grade 11. I'm concerned about her future as she has almost nobody who can help and support her once she leaves school and the Children's Home. She has the academic ability for tertiary studies and I would like to advise her on this as the Children's Home would be able to arrange funding. While I don't want to tell her that her disability will place limitations on what and where she can study, that is the unfortunate reality. Do you know of any organisations in Cape Town that can provide support in the form of e.g. housing and transport for a disabled student?
Answer 377 views
Handicap Expert
Handicap Expert

01 Jan 0001

Dear Maria

Thank you for visiting

Please be so kind as to advise what you will be able to afford, as the University of Cape Town have disabled rooms and facilities. She might be able to apply for a bursary at UCT, as this will most probably include her accomodation as well. On receipt of your reply, I will supply you with more details and possibilities.

Kind regards

Dr Anrich Burger
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.