Ask an expert

18 Jul 2005

Pain in knees
I have experience quite some time pain in my knees. Sometimes the one knee cap when I bend my knees and sometimes the other knee. I have been using caltrate for 4 years now and are not sure if this is ostheoporosis. I have no injuries whatsoever on my knees. Do I need some tests done. And with which doctors?. Is this what people called painfull joints?. I am 36 years old. Is there any medication or vitamins that I can take in the meanwhile?. Could this be arthritis?
Answer 392 views
Healthy Bones
Healthy Bones

01 Jan 0001

Dear Lerita
Osteoporosis is a totally painless disease until you suffer a fracture and it does not affect the joints. It may be arthritis, but other factors like overweight etc. can alco cause painful joint and especially knees as they have to carry our weight adn if there is too much weight they complain! You may also have an old injury that you do not know about. If it is really bothersome please see you GP who can evaluate this.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9435 votes
68% - 19981 votes