Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
17 Aug 2007
Is it fair?
I have been with this company for about 6 months now,as a contract employee.My boss gave me a 3 month contract and said if he's happy with my job he'd make me permanent.He never complained about my perfomance and sometimes gave me the occasional complement on a job well done...After the 1st contract he gave me another 3 month contract which expires end of this month.This past monday he told me post was being advertised and urged me to apply for the position,however I was under the impression I would be getting a permanent post.If this position is given to somebody else,can I take legal action?and if so how do I go about doing it?I asked him if my perfomance was good or bad through out,and he told me that I have been doing a great job through out and that he personnally has no complaints with my perfomance,but when I asked why the post is being advertised he said he was only following orders.However he is the one who said to me if I do my job well,he'd give me a permanent post.This is my first job so I really need advise.I'm in Nelspruit
Short term contracts can be rolled over but envariably it could be interpreted as an avoidance of the Labour Relations Act. Your employer is trying to use short term contracts in place of a probation and this is not acceptable. You can in fact take legal action if you don't get the permanent position.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Ditch the itch – using bacteria to combat eczema flareups
- Why do lungs ‘wheeze’? Scientists tried to find out
- Covid-19 damages the heart by killing its muscle cells, study finds
- Breast cancer: Is milk a risk factor?
- An obsession with ‘likes’ on social media akin to animals seeking food rewards, new study reports
- What we know about the charges against former Steinhoff CEO Markus Jooste
- The big picture | ‘The loss of humanity’: South Africa and the Global South’s battle for Covid-19 vaccine justice
- Karyn Maughan | How the WC Judge President has faced 10 major scandals, without any sanction
- Mark Gevisser | Covid-19: One year on, and a deepening inequality
- REFLECTION | Covid-19: How the basic education dept weathered the Covid-19 storm
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9375 votes
67% - 19408 votes